Have you been watching gymnastics during the Summer Games? Our men and women gymnasts are amazing and will cap off the games with the rhythmic competition. Dr. Michele Perez, a physical medicine and rehabilitation physician at Resurgens Orthopaedics Spine Center, grew up competing in Acro-Gymnastics. In today's video blog, she is sharing some common injuries and prevention tips for gymnasts of all levels.
- Traumatic - injuries range from minor (sprains and strains) to more severe (ACL tears, lumbar stress fractures and wrist injuries).
- Overuse - to the wrists, knees and spine
- Strength training
- Flexibility training
- Rest, when needed to avoid overuse injuries
- Spotter - gymnasts must use a spotter until they are comfortable performing the skills on their own
- Equipment - it is important to make sure the equipment is in top working condition to avoid accidents